Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bollywood/Bhangra 101...

     So I've realized lately that I've been doing a TERRIBLE job of keeping y'all up to date on activities and routines that compose my life here in Pune. WELL FEAR NOT! I have realized this week that I can successfully balance course work for 5 classes (which this week meant writing 4 papers, making a presentation, and keeping up on readings!) as well as make time for activities (like Bollywood/Bhangra dance class and violin!!!), which means there really should be no reason at all for me to slack on my blogs. Let's begin the catch-up process....now! Readyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? GO! In a series of posts which I will try to keep short, but sweet for certain, I will do my best to clue you in to at least one aspect of my Pune life.

     The topic today: Bhangra/Bollywood Dance Class. Yes, that's right. For some craaaaazy reason I have decided to really step out of my element here and take on the challenge of dancing...with two left feet. Have I mentioned how clumsy I am lately? Probably much too clumsy to have the coordination required for dancing (and certainly too clumsy to walk on sidewalks as my newly smashed toe would probably tell you), but I am still attempting to give it a shot and absolutely love it so far! Although I have already managed to earn myself a nick-name in just 2 one-hour long classes..."Housewife". The reasoning? I apparently looked as if I were daintily hanging up freshly-pressed laundry for one of the dance steps..."who knew I could make it look so good??!" was obviously my first thought. Anyway, if you're curious to know what I'll be learning, the clip below shows what typical Bhangra dance looks like. We have only begun the Bollywood part of our dance, but it is already looking pretty sweet. The song we are doing our dance to, from a Bollywood hit-Om Shanti Om, is sooooooooo fun! (you can catch it below the Bhangra clip...enjoy!!)

Bhangra!


Dhoom Taana-from Om Shanti Om






Dream.love.Discover,
Dachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment