Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Environmental Perspectives just HAD to get my hands dirty.....

     As I embark on researching to write my final paper for Environmental Perspectives (Virtual Water in India anyone???) I have of course decided to take a moment to further procrastinate and post some photos from our final Environmental field trip. Although I was very sleepy (as we had all just gotten back from very exhausting travel week adventures), the field trip ended as all environmental field trips this semester have.....wonderfully.  
     We spent part of the day on the bus: touring the outskirts of Pune, visiting damns, learning how to cut rice plants with a sickle!, standing outside of a sacred grove (because I'm a female and only men were allowed in this particular grove) to look at bats ("ya, bats" <----note the Environmental Inside Joke here), checking out implemented wells in rural villages, & begging the professor to make an ice cream stop (we're still children clearly), and the last part of the day on an organic farm run by the professor's son learning about organic farming techniques and helping to plant some of the young plants! After our hard work (and I say this in all seriousness since it involved my hands being covered in dirt and organic matter as I'm assuming there was some wonderful fertilizer mixture involved) we were treated to an excellent dinner-the perfect ending to a class that has spent a semester being full of equally as excellent surprises! The only thing we were missing that day was some great professor-led meditation...

(No big deal, Sai's just using her sickle skills to harvest rice...)

(In India even when doing field work you must look beautiful!)


(Bats, ya, bats)



(I couldn't help but notice the contrast in the blue hat/yellow glasses combo....but also note the "hut" in the background. Previous to coming to India that is what I would have pictured inhabitants of a tribal village living in)

(We all know how much I love cows. These little guys are pure, native, Indian mooers!)

(Making fantastic use of space as any efficient farm should-growing some sort of hanging spinach, if I recall correctly, while using the ground space to grow one of my favorite herbs...MINT!)

 
(The planting Dream-Team combo of Maya Fe and Brenna: poke holes, fill with water, clear space for plant, place sproutling, REPEAT! )

(This is exactly how my hands became all kinds of filthy before dinner!)

dream.love.discover...reaaaaaaaaaaaaady? GROW!
Dachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment